Sunday, April 7, 2013

Twitter.

Twitter has caused more trouble today with the Youth PCC resigning and apologising for some tweets she posted. These tweets were just the usual kind of exaggerations teenagers make but because it was on Twitter she loses her job. Twitter should not be taken seriously. For starters there and thousands of jokes circulating on Twitter, thousands of fake profiles and millions of idiots. People say things on Twitter that they would otherwise say down the pub, but because it is written (or typed rather) it is taken seriously.

The other issue with taking things on Twitter seriously or literally is that in text it is difficult to tell when somebody is joking or being sarcastic. For example if I put that I think George Osborne is someone who's face I would never tire of punching there is a possibility that some people would think I am going to repeatedly punch George Osborne in the face. Of course I wouldn't really do this. I might hurt my knuckle. But the point is that if people start taking things said on Twitter seriously (just because it is in 'published' text), when they aren't meant to be taken seriously then it is only a small step from monitoring all conversations. If we aren't careful then our pointless obsession with wanting to constantly broadcast our opinions and mundane lives to as many people as possible could lead to self created Big Brother society. 

Why can't we just meet in pubs or parks or libraries (if there are any left) to hold conversations face to face? It really is so much better.

And yes, I am yet again aware of the hypocritical irony of what I am doing, but my viewing figures are so pitifully low it really doesn't matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment